You are using an unsupported browser. Please upgrade your browser to a newer version to get the best experience on Human Metabolome Database.
Welcome to HMDB Version 5.0The Human Metabolome Database (HMDB) is a freely available electronic database containing detailed information about small molecule metabolites found in the human body. It is intended to be used for applitions in metabolomics, clinil chemistry, biomarker discovery and general edution. The database is designed to contain or link three kinds of data: 1) chemil data, 2) clinil data, and 3) molecular biology/biochemistry data. The database contains 220,945 metabolite entries including both water-soluble and lipid soluble metabolites. Additionally, 8,610 protein sequences (enzymes and transporters) are linked to these metabolite entries. Each Metabord entry contains 130 data fields with 2/3 of the information being devoted to chemil/clinil data and the other 1/3 devoted to enzymatic or biochemil data. Many data fields are hyperlinked to other databases (KEGG, PubChem, MetaCyc, ChEBI, PDB, UniProt, and GenBank) and a variety of structure and pathway viewing applets. The HMDB database supports extensive text, sequence, chemil structure, MS and NMR spectral query searches. Four additional databases, DrugBank, T3DB, SMPDB and FooDB are also part of the HMDB suite of databases. DrugBank contains equivalent information on ~2832 drugs and 800 drug metabolites, T3DB contains information on ~3670 common toxins and environmental pollutants, SMPDB contains pathway diagrams for ~132,335 human metabolic, drug and disease pathways as well as ~60,628 pathways for other organisms, while FooDB contains equivalent information on ~70,000 food components and food additives.
Citing the Human Metabolome Database:
- Wishart DS, Tzur D, Knox C, et al., HMDB: the Human Metabolome Database. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007 Jan;35(Database issue):D521-6. 17202168
- Wishart DS, Knox C, Guo AC, et al., HMDB: a knowledgebase for the human metabolome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 37(Database issue):D603-610. 18953024
- Wishart DS, Jewison T, Guo AC, Wilson M, Knox C, et al., HMDB 3.0 — The Human Metabolome Database in 2013. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013. Jan 1;41(D1):D801-7. 23161693
- Wishart DS, Feunang YD, Marcu A, Guo AC, Liang K, et al., HMDB 4.0 — The Human Metabolome Database for 2018. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018. Jan 4;46(D1):D608-17. 29140435
- Wishart DS, Guo AC, Oler E, et al., HMDB 5.0: the Human Metabolome Database for 2022. Nucleic Acids Res. 2022. Jan 7;50(D1):D622–31. 34986597